Wednesday, June 03, 2009

SLOWING WAY WAY DOWN


It's almost summer. Five more days of Kindergarten for Zach. I'm going to rearrange our life for the summer. Seriously rearrange. Mostly it's for my peace of mind but I hope it settles the boys. In the coming days I'll post our new ways. I have to decide how serious I am about rearranging but I think I'll be very serious. Here's a few of my ideas. While we're in town (Portland), we'll be traveling to Idaho three or four times, I'm going to go local with the boys. We're going to walk. I hope only to start up our van on days that I drive to the grocery store alone. My children are inundated with things that I've given them, and that I'm seeing are taking over our life... things like Target, Starbucks, buying things, "gotta haves", t.v., food that's wrapped in some kind of wrapper, and more.

I think I'm on my way to:

Being carless with children for the summer.
Eating as local (our garden, our eggs, farmers market) as possible.
Walking to the market if we need something.
Walking to the swimming pool.
Walking the library.
Reading a lot of books out loud
Playing in the sprinkler
Removing ourselves from the fast paced "gotta have - gotta do" world.

Is is possible? Wait and see....

No comments: